INFO Page for volunteer before and after starting volunteer programs in Nepal
Flynepal Volunteering Organisation is committed to provide enough services and support to the volunteers to make volunteers stay/work smooth and satisfactory though we have limited facilities in the country. FVO provides volunteers orientation and training classes as an introduction to volunteering in Nepal. We also make sure that your money stays in the local community. We support a number of projects in the community, and with the help of program fee paid by volunteers we are trying to make a difference. FVO programs are trying to ensure that your stay in the placement is a positive experience for all - people, place and the environment.
BEFORE YOU START YOUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
- Every volunteer receives classes in Nepali language and culture, including visits to major cultural areas, historical places and shopping areas around Kathmandu. During this training period, volunteers will be provided at least 3 hours of classes and after training other activities such as sight seeing, visiting festivals and ceremonies with the help of the language teachers or office staffs.
- Basic information on the education system, culture, survival guidance, gender issues, caste system in Nepal and recent political changes. Hand outs or books are distributed to all volunteers.
- An instruction class will be held about the transportation and hiking trails around the working area. Our staff member can also assist you to organize your other plans as like trekking, tour, flights, rafting etc.
- A meeting will be organized among host family, FVO staffs and volunteer before starting the volunteering work, volunteers can ask several questions during the meeting.
- FVO will make a tentative itinerary of the daily program as soon as volunteers arrive to the placement.
- For health participants FVO provides an initiation into Nepali health practices, history of the health institution and present health situation.
- FVO always chooses very safe place to stay and work. Volunteers are welcome to contact anytime on phone or on cell phones during their entire stay to receive support from FVO staffs.
- Once you receive all information and finish all you Kathmandu training then you will be transferred to your placement.
# All training and orientation is focused on preparing volunteers for understanding about cultural differences, increasing the ability of adaptation of the daily life and society to function and contribute towards development process.
ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD:
During Training in Kathmandu:
During the orientation and training, volunteers will stay in a hotel or host family near Thamel area in Kathmandu which is about 5 kilometers west from the Airport. Accommodation is included in the program fee but for few days volunteers will cover their own food if they stay in hotel. Each volunteer will be provided single room with attached bath room and hotel has hot shower facilities; training will held at the hotel. There are many international and Nepali restaurants near the hotel and one can choose his/her own food.
At the placement each volunteer lives with a local family as a member of the family and receives a separate room with basic furniture. FVO finds best host families to make volunteer's stay smooth. The families have received orientation on western habits. Families provide two main meals a day, the day time meal will be a light snacks, for drinking - boiled water will be available. The typical Nepalese meal is 'dahl, bhat, tarkaari' (lentil soup, rice and vegetables) also other food like noodles, 'roti' (flat round bread) and different kinds of seasonal fruits and vegetables are eaten. You will be eating the same food as the family eats everyday. Electricity is available and phone/ internet service will be accessed close by the village. Every Saturdays you will have a day off, as all Nepali do.
While you will be in placement you will be doing your volunteer related activities that benefits to people and their society. We always encourage and emphasis all our volunteers to give extra movements so that people will keep you in heart for ever and remember your valuable efforts towards them.
AFTER YOU FINISH YOUR PLACEMENT
Once you finish your placement, our local staff or a member from host family will assist you to get back from placement to Kathmandu by tourist bus and then we will arrange you a goodbye dinner on your last night. We will also ask you to write and tell us about your experience with us. And finally we will hug and say goodbye then we will assist you to get back to airport for returning back to your home country on your last day.